Newmont Goldcorp (NYSE:NEM)(TSX:NGT) and Canada’s Barrick Gold (TSX:ABX)(NYSE:GOLD), the No. 1 and 2 bullion producers, have cleared all the regulatory conditions to combine their operations in Nevada ahead of schedule.
The U.S. Federal Trade Commission, said the companies, granted an early termination of the waiting period under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act on April 19.
The new business, yet to be named, will be owned 38.5% by Newmont Goldcorp and 61.5% by Barrick, which will also be the operator of what the partners say it’ll be the world’s largest gold producing complex.
The “historic” business combination (as the duo called it) is expected to generate savings of $500 million a year within the first full five years. It includes Barrick’s Goldstrike, Cortez, Turquoise Ridge, and Goldrush and Newmont’s Carlin, Twin Creeks, Phoenix, Long Canyon, along with associated processing plants and infrastructure of both companies.
Excluded from the joint-venture, for now, are Barrick’s Fourmile project and Newmont’s Fiberline and Mike deposits. It also does not include Newmont’s Cripple Creek & Victor mine.
The agreement follows Newmont’s rejection of Barrick’s $18 billion hostile bid last week, countering with a proposal for a JV with a 55% interest for Barrick.
Newmont’s contra-offer wasn’t immediately welcome by the Toronto-based miner, which wanted a higher percentage and control of the venture.
After exchanging quite a few mutual verbal offences, the chief executives of the long-time rival miners reached a consensus over dinner in New York last month.
Practical measures required to integrate the joint venture assets and establish the new business are now being taken, the partners said, and they are anticipated to be complete within the current quarter.
The post Barrick, Newmont joint venture in Nevada clears all hurdles appeared first on MINING.com.